Season Preview: Boy’s Basketball

B-A boys basketball versus Curwensville; January 27, 2022. (Morgan Kienzle)

Boys Basketball 23-24

The Bellwood-Antis boys basketball team is coming off a 9-13 season in coach Tyler Mertiff’s first campaign.

The team is returning 6 letter winners from last years team, 5 of which are seniors. The senior letterwinners returning are: (PG,SG) Anthony Caracciolo, (SG,PG) Conner Bardell, (PF,SF) Chance Schreier, (PF,C) Corry Shanafelt, and (PF,C) Vincent Cacciotti. The lone junior letterwinner is Holden Schrier.

The boys starting five consists of Anthony Caracciolo, Corry Shanafelt, Chance Schreier, Holden Schrier, and Conner Bardell.

Holden Schreier is the leading returning scorer after netting more than 10 points a game last season. Shanafelt is next at 7 ppg.

Both Holden and Chance Schreier return as two of the team’s top defenders after finishing second and third, respectively, last season, in steals. They also return as the top assist leaders.

Holden Schreier (31) and Caracciolo (26) are the team’s best from three-point range.

With the switch from the ICC to the Laurel Highlands Athletic Conference, the boys will be faced with a higher level of competition than last year.

Chance Schrier says that practices have changed to be able to compete in the new conference.

“Practices have definitely tougher this year compared to last year,” he said.

Senior Conner Bardell has high hopes for the season.

“I think we are going to be a lot more solid than what people expect. We have a lot of returning talent that should lead to wins.”

Conner said he wants loud atmospheres this year especially tonight against Hollidaysburg. ” Show out tonight! Neon theme! ”

The boys open up their season at home against Hollidaysburg tonight.