2 B-A swimmers advance to states

Terry McCaulley
Cameron Gallagher was one of two B-A swimmers to advance to states on Tyrone’s winning 200M freestyle relay team. He was joined by Spencer Dunklebarger.

Over the weekend, six Bellwood-Antis swimmers competed in the District 6 championship meet at University Park. Out of the six competing two simmers prevailed and advanced to states.

There had been a winning drought for the Tyrone swim team at District meets over the past 5 years, but the drought was quenched this year with the boys 200 free relay team bringing home a 2A championship win with a time of 1:36, which broke the team’s personal best record by 3 seconds. B-A sophomore Cameron Gallagher and senior Spencer Dunklebarger advanced to the PIAA state meet by being a part of the relay team.

Dunklebarger also qualified in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:07.00, placing him in 3rd. He also placed 5th in the 100 freestyle with a time of 51:29.

“It feels unbelievable,” said Gallagher. “I never thought in a million years I would make it to states.”

Other members of the relay team include Bishop Guilfoyle junior Isaac Yeskey and Tyrone sophomore Lucas Bonsell.

B-A had sent six swimmers to the District championships, and even those who did not place made improvements.

“They did great,” said Coach Tom Getz. All of the kids dropped their time.”

Gallagher and Dunklebarger were joined by freshmen Ned Smearman, Cameron Nelson, and Blake Pennington, and senior Evalyna Aiken.

The 2A State meet will take place March 15-16 at Bucknell University in Lewisburg.