Local and community scholarships available for seniors

Kate Wallace
Seniors can stop down at the guidance office to look at new local and community scholarships.

New scholarship opportunities are open for seniors at Bellwood-Antis.

During a senior meeting on February 1, scholarship opportunities were discussed with the Class of 2024. Seniors were given a Post-Scholarship Application to fill out and turn into the high school office by Friday, March 22 in order to apply for scholarships.

The application must be filled out for seniors to be eligible for local and community scholarships that range from $250 to $2,500, and only seniors who have been accepted to a post-secondary program are eligible to apply.

Some scholarships require a separate application. These scholarships can be found in the guidance office with more still being added. Seniors are highly recommended to visit the guidance office to look at these scholarships.

The selection committee for the scholarships consists of the high school principal, high school counselor, and members of the high school faculty.

The application consists of post-secondary school, financial, family, extra-curricular, and community service data. The application also consists of a one paragraph minimum essay.

Students who do not wish to be considered for any scholarships based on financial need do not need to complete the financial data required, however this is not recommended and students who do not complete the data will not be eligible for many of the offered scholarships.

In order to be awarded a scholarship, all seniors must agree to attend the Achievement Banquet to receive their scholarship on Monday, May 13.

For all winning students, their award money will be distributed to them during their first year of post-secondary education and must be used within one year of receipt of the scholarship. Exceptional circumstances for the deadline must be submitted to the committee for consideration.