Power of Three: Top 3 Women’s College Basketball players of all time

Public domain image
Caitlin Clark may be the best women’s player of all time, but there have been many women’s superstars over the years.

Women’s College basketball finished up over the weekend, and South Carolina went undefeated and won the National Championship. As hot as the women’s game is right now, it’s time to rank some of the top players to ever play in Division 1 women’s basketball.

1. Caitlin Clark. We have all heard the name, and we have all seen the game. Caitlin Clark needed to be somewhere on this list, and I think she deserved #1. In the 2023-2024 season alone she averaged 31.4 PPG, 7.4 RPG, and 8.9 APG. During her whole college career she averaged 28.4 PPG, 7.1 RPG, and 8.2 APG. Caitlin Clark changed the women’s sports world as a whole. She broke numerous records in college, and hopefully more will come in the future. Caitlin is also a 2x Naismith award winner, 2x wooden award winner, 3x Big Ten POY, and 2x AP POY. Caitlin Clark was also the #1 draft pick of the 2024 WNBA draft, selected by the Indiana Fever. The Iowa Hawkeyes will also be retiring Caitlin’s number “22, ” and Nike recently came to terms with her on an 8-figure deal that includes her own signature shoe.

2. Sheryl Swoopes. Sheryl Swoopes wore the number 22 all throughout her career. She played basketball at the school of Texas Tech and led them to an NCCA Championship win. She also set an NCCA record by scoring 47 points in the Championship game. She averaged 24.9 PPG, 9.0 RPG, and 4.4 APG. When I watched her game against Ohio state in the 1993 championship I saw shades of MJ and Kyrie. In her college career she was an NCAA champion, 1x Naismith award winner, and an NCAA tourney MOP. Her WNBA career was even better as a 3-time MVP, 6x all star, and a 4 time WNBA Champ. She is now in the WNBA’s Hall of Fame.

3. Mya Moore. In college Mya wore the number 23 for the University of Connecticut. She had an overall legendary basketball career, but in college she was dominant. In her college career she averaged 19.7 PPG, 3.5 APG, and 8.6 RPG. She  was a 2x NCAA title winner who won numerous awards including NCAA Tourney MOP, Naismith Award (twice) & Wooden award (twice), Big East POY three times), and AP POY (twice). After college her career was even more spectacular after being drafted #1 overall in the 2011 WNBA Draft. Her jersey number 23 was retired by UConn’s women’s basketball. She was also inducted into the Women’s basketball HOF in 2024.