BA seniors advance to regional wrestling championships

Wendy Wilson

Jeremy Wilson at 182 and Zach Mock at 170 advanced to the Southwest Regional wresting tournament.

Myranda Mamat, Staff Writer

Over the weekend, Bellwood-Antis High School seniors Jeremy Wilson and Zach Mock advanced to regionals by placing fifth in the District 6-AA wrestling championship in their respective weight classes.

The two will now have a couple weeks of before wrestling in the Southwest Regional wrestling tournament starting February 27.

For Mock (170 pounds) being the 8th seed and making it to 5th place is an astonishment.

“It feels really good. I had that as a goal I the beginning of the season. It feels good to be one of the very select few from Bellwood to advance,” he said.

Wilson, the No. 2 seed at 182,  wasn’t thrilled with his finish.

“It’s disappointing in terms of placement. I beat the kid from Southern Huntingdon (who wrestled in the 182-pound championship) before in a dual, so I expected to be in the finals. At the same time in post season it’s a matter of survive and advance,” said Jeremy, who was seeded 2nd and ended placing 5th.

Zach, won his first match before falling in the third round and entering the wrestle-backs.

Jeremy didn’t have as much luck. He was upset in the second round by Cambria Heights’  Dalton Waksmunski before being forced to wrestle his way back.

“I can only grow from the adversity,” Jeremy said.