Suicide rates rising for young women

Bellwod-Antis has several outlets for students dealing with depression

Myranda Mamat

Guidance counselor Mrs. Butler is one of the adults teens at Bellwood-Antis could consult if they were experiencing feelings of depression or suicide.

Myranda Mamat, Staff Writer

Last July, a young Massachusetts student was found dead in his car of carbon monoxide poisoning. The young man had contacted a female friend that night before about having second thoughts about committing suicide.  The girl then sent him text messages encouraging him to commit suicide and to get back inside the car.

This story notwithstanding, contrary to popular belief it is the rate of women committing suicide that is rising.

The rate of suicide among women has increased dramatically through the past few years between the ages of 10 to early 20’s.

Many kids only tell their friends instead of telling adults and getting the real help they need.

— Guidance Counselor Mrs. Butler

“I think women are using lethal weapons to insure they take their life, in the quickest way possible, which is really upsetting,” said Mrs. Butler.

According to vox.com, the rise in women’s suicides has tripled recently with suffocation cases.

At Bellwood we have Aevidum, a group that helps work on character building, looking out for fellow students, and breaking down barriers that separate students.  Along with that guidance counselor Mrs. Butler, who helps and talks with students about their problems or future.

“I think that a lot of students now lack the coping skills to get through emotions. I think teens face more bullying now with the more social media sites on the internet instead of years ago,” said Mrs. Butler.

Aevidum addresses issues like that is a way of developing these skills.

“Overall in Aevidum, we want students to realize they have traits, problems, etc, which are similar to students who they never associate with. Everyone is different but similar in so many ways,” said Mr. McNaul, Aevidum advisor.

Many people who think about committing suicide think they have no one who understands or will help them through it, but what they don’t realize is that they aren’t just hurting themselves they are hurting the people around them that love them.

“I think when you’re in that state of mind, you’re just doing it for yourself and you don’t think about the people that you love. Even though there are support groups and people that will help, you just don’t care.  You don’t want people to tell you how to live your life or label you as weird. I think they just simply are tired and sick of feeling empty and people see killing themselves as the easy way out and that’s mortifying,” said 10 grader, Tierra Mahute.

If you are ever feeling down and in need of someone to talk to you can go to Mrs. Butler.

“If you are feeling down seek help. There is help for depression, you can talk to me or seek an adult. Many kids only tell their friends instead of telling adults and getting the real help they need,” she said.