B-A boys playoff preview

Christina Kowalski

Jarrett Taneyhill and the Blue Devils are ready to start their chase for a championship.

Blair Poorman, Staff Writer

The Bellwood-Antis boys basketball team comes into the District 6-AA playoffs on a 13-game win streak, playing two of their most emotional games to finish out the regular season against rival Bishop Guilfoyle and ICC foe Southern Fulton.

The Blue Devils are no stranger to postseason action, qualifying for the PIAA  tournament and falling a shot away from reaching the District 6 finals last year.

Led by Senior Nathan Davis, averaging 21.9 points per game, 8.0 rebounds per game, and 6.6 assists per game, B-A looks to build upon their success from last year and win a District title and make a run in the state playoffs.

Junior Joey Padula has shown himself as a reliable scoring options behind Davis, averaging 13.0 points, 7.0 rebounds, and 2.8 assists per game. As well as Junior Jarrett Taneyhill has displayed himself as a defensive phenom averaging 4.7 blocks, adding 8.3 boards and 8.9 points per game.

Bellwood-Antis is locked in as the top seed in the District 6-AA playoffs in a loaded field. The No. 7 seed Westmont Hilltoppers beat the No. 2 seed West Branch earlier this year, as well as beating the No. 4 seed Bishop McCort.

B-A has its first test against the 13-9 Richland Rams this Friday night at the Hollidaysburg Senior High School at 7:30.

B-A’s biggest competition on their side of the bracket going to be the No. 4 seed Bishop McCort Crushers (15-7). McCort will be out for revenge after last years close 59-57 loss in the quarterfinals last year against the Blue Devils.

Bishop McCort plays Tyrone this Friday for the spot in the semifinals, a Golden Eagles team Bellwood beat earlier this year 73-62, and lead by 20 for most of the second  half.

With a first round bye Bellwood-Antis only needs one win to secure a spot in the state playoffs as four Class AA schools advance from District 6.

On the other side of the bracket, lies No. 2 and No. 3 seeds West Branch and Penns Valley respectively, two teams who B-A is very familiar with.

B-A holds wins over both teams, with a 62-54 win over Penns Valley. And a 79-54 win over West Branch.

With the experience and talent that Bellwood possesses, they will be a big threat to any team that they match-up against.