Lady Blue Devils track & field team looks to make improvement

File photo

Sophomore Alexis Gerwert will be looking to defend the District title she won as a freshman.

Blair Poorman, Staff Writer

The Bellwood-Antis girls’ track team is coming off an up and down year. The Lady Blue Devils had few District place winners, but still managed to win the ICC team championship.

But B-A has some district 6 qualifiers from last year that are returning that will look to help the Lady Devils rebound this year.

Sophomore Alexis Gerwert returns after winning the District 6 championship and tying the school record in pole vault as a freshman, leaping as high as 10’6”.

I think that if I can stay healthy and continue to improve I can win another District championship.

— Alexis Gerwert

“I am excited that I can be healthy enough to jump this year,” said Gerwert, who underwent back surgery last July. “”

One of Bellwood’s strong suits this year will be the jumping categories with sophomore Kamryn Mercer, a returnee returning District qualifier in the high jump, as well as Karson Swogger in the long jump.

Swogger will also look to continue to improve herself in the 100-meter dash and qualify for Districts this year.

Senior Marissa Panasiti, who returned from a knee injury just in time to qualify for the post-season meets last year, will look to improve upon her sixth place finish last year at districts in the 400-meter dash, as well as improving in the 200-meter dash.

B-A’s long-distance team looks to be in good hands with two of the girls’ top performers, Christina Kowalski and Raegan Plowman, coming back.

Abby Luensmann will be a major factor in the hurdle events.

One big part of the track team that will be missed this year will be Selena Damiano, who broke the school record for shot put last year, as well as winning the District 6 medal in discus and getting third in shot put.