Girls basketball boosters sponsoring 5K race

Hoops for Hope event will raise money for breast cancer awareness

Ethan McGee

The girls basketball boosters are hosting a 5K race on May 21.

Joe Padula, Staff Writer

On May 21 the annual Hoops for Hope 5K race sponsored by the girls basketball program will take place at Bellwood-Antis High School.

The Hoops for Hope 5K is an event added to the Lady Blue Devil Boosters Program a few years ago to help raise money for the Booster Program’s annual Pink Game with Tyrone.

“The name of the race was decided because half of the proceeds go to breast cancer research in honor of the PINK game rivalry with Tyrone,” said booster and Race Director Lynn D’Angelo

D’Angelo was the one with the idea to start this race when she suggested it to the booster club a few years ago as an idea for a fundraiser since she was actively running in local races, as well as working as a volunteer in these races.

Last year’s winners were Hayden McClellan and Raegan Baker. Sarah Cox and Brian Spiker won in 2014 when the event raised $800.

“We had a good turnout last year. It takes a few years for the race to catch on. We are hoping the move to spring gets everyone excited about getting out and enjoying the perfect race weather,” said Lynn

Along with raising money for the Booster Club the race teaches people in the basketball program how to work together to and accomplish a common goal.

“The race couldn’t happen without the boosters’ families coming together. It’s a great way for the team to work together on and off the court,” said D’Angelo.