10 books you should read before graduating high school

You’ll read Of Mice and Men and To Kill a Mockingbird before you graduate high school, so pay attention in class.

Phoebe Potter, Staff Writer

It won’t be long until you’re heading off to college. Make sure you know these books so you can be culturally literate at the next level.

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

Stay gold Ponyboy, stay gold.

On the Road by Jack Kerouac

Although this 1940’s novel uses many instances of profanity and vulgar motives, it beautifully captures the essence of freedom and travel and the serenity encapsulated in it.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

A classic Gothic tale and the mother of the horror genre, you can thank Mary Shelley for the Blair Witch Project and American Horror Story.

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

This novella is an outstanding model of life during the great depression and the struggles that came along with it.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Being one of the best and most heart-breaking love stories ever to be told, this novel is a must read for any and all high schoolers.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

It is a timeless classic that is easy to read and flows really well. Also who doesn’t love the 1920’s?

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

This classic novel deals with the topics of racism as well as a significant time in American History.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

Once you get over the difficult text, this novella makes you question the basic ideas of civilization and race.

Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller

This play is a tragic tale of coming to terms with reality, finding what you’re good at and what makes you happy in life.

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

This coming of age novel remarkably captures the adolescent mindset and coming to terms with growing up and trying to stop time.

Now that you’ve read our list, here’s another.

YouTube/MSMojo