Lady Blue Devils hot hand continues

Julie Bauer

Riley D’Angelo makes a move last week in a game against Juniata Valley. D’Angelo was forced to assume more of the dirty work last night in the absence of post Sakeria Haralson.

Colin McCaulley, Sports Writer

The Bellwood-Antis Lady Blue Devils traveled to Williamsburg last night in an I.C.C. showdown, and B-A rolled on the Lady Pirates 69-43.

Bellwood-Antis only held a 10-point lead at the half, 31-21. The breakaway wouldn’t come until the fourth quarter, when the Lady Blue Devils outscored the Lady Pirates by 13 points.

Post Sakeria Haralson was forced to sit out last night due to an ankle injury sustained  last Thursday against Claysburg-Kimmel. Junior Riley D’Angelo stepped up by grabbing 8 boards and adding 5 steals to pick up some of the slack.

Sakeria wasn’t playing, so it was a bit of an adjustment not to have that size there.

— Tina Hollen

“It wasn’t our best game,” said senior Tina Hollen. “Sakeria wasn’t playing, so it was a bit of an adjustment not to have that size there. Once we got used to it, we were fine.”

Sophomore Alli Campbell went off, shooting 50% from the field for 37 points and finishing off a double double with 12 rebounds 3 assists and 5 steals. The second leading scorer was, as usual, was fellow sophomore Emilie Leidig, who scored 19 points and pulled 5 rebounds.

“It was a slow start in the first quarter, but we picked it up and bounced back,” said Campbell.

Campbell’s numbers allowed her to get over 900 points for her career and kept her on track to become the youngest player in B-A history to reach 1,000. Karson Swogger, who leads not only the Lady Blue Devils’ scoring list but is also Blair County’s all-time leading scorer, ended her sophomore season with 996.

Campbell now has 918.

“I’m not really thinking about it,” Campbell said. “Right now I am just trying to take it game-by-game and focus on the opposing team, not scoring 1,000 points.”