ATHLETE OF THE WEEK: Emilie Leidig

Bellwood-Antis vs. Juniata Valley; January 3, 2020. (Jon Kost)

Troy Walker, Sports Editor

Bellwood Antis senior guard Emilie Leidig has been hot lately, scoring 18, 17, and 17 points in her last three games, while adding a combined 13 assists, and 8 rebounds.  Emilie has scored 111 points so far this season, and has been a huge reason the Lady Blue Devils remain undefeated at 11-0.

For her efforts, Leidig has been named the BluePrint Athlete of the Week.

Emilie has been a starter on the two back-to-back state championship teams at B-A, scoring 348 points her sophomore season, and 371 last year as a Junior.  Despite not starting her freshman season, Emilie Leidig was still able to contribute 149 points off the bench in 2016-17.

Those numbers have put her on the cusp of a special milestone – the 1,000-point mark. Emilie is 21 points away heading into action this weekend.

Emilie’s career high for points is 28, which she scored last year when the Lady Blue devils beat Windber by 20 points in the District 6 playoffs.

Emilie currently averages a career 12.3 points per game, 2.5 assists per game,  and 2 steals.

The 2020 senior class will go down as most likely the most successful group to come through Bellwood, and with all the talent within the team the Lady Blue Devils hope to have a third straight season with a state title, and the current Lady Blue Devil dynasty will be remembered as maybe the top scoring team in school history, with the potential for four thousand-point scorers to come from the unit.