Campbell, Poe take first at speech meet

Jon Kost

Caedon Poe and Haley Campbell each took first place at the speech team’s most recent contest.

Renee VanProoyen, Staff Writer

Last week in a speech meet at Bishop Carroll, the Bellwood-Antis speech team had seven students place.

Two of those students placed first: sophomore Caedon Poe in extemporaneous and junior Haley Campbell in humorous interpretation.

Sophomore Emma Corrado placed second in extemporaneous and classmate Zach Amato earned second place in commentary.

“I think they did very well considering that they didn’t practice with me too much,” said speech team coach Mrs. Sally Padula.

It was the third win of the season for Campbell, who advanced as far as nationals last year.

“Haley has worked hard all year and has gotten first place in all three meets we’ve had,” said Mrs. Padula. “Emma and Caedon have been working together to make each of their speeches stronger.”  

Sophomore Sarah Berowitz placed third in commentary.

“This was Sarah’s first time competing in commentary,” said Mrs. Padula.

Junior Lauren Young earned fifth place in place poetry and junior Caroline Nagle placed sixth in prose.

Mrs. Padula said, “This was Caroline’s first meet of the season and she did great in a field with 22 people. Lauren competed against 16 others. I’m excited to see what happens at the state qualifying meet on February 21.”