Polar Pop makes a big splash

Rorie Wolf

Mr. Burch gets drenched by a water balloon as one of the faculty volunteers for the Polar Pop, an event to raise money for Special Olympics.

Zach Miller, Photo Editor

Last Friday Bellwood held a “Polar Pop’’ event to raise awareness and money for the Special Olympics.

The “Pop” occurred in place of the Polar Plunge, a community event where people raise sponsorship money before taking a dip in freezing cold waters at Canoe Creek. The plunge was not able to be held due to COVID guidelines.

For the Polar Pop, teachers volunteered to have cold water balloons popped on their head outdoors on a very cold Friday morning. In all, the event raised more than $700 for Special Olympics.

Mrs. Leah McNaul, who organized the event, was pleased with the results.

“With less than 400 students in the high school and only four days of collecting donation, $700 in total donations is pretty fantastic,” she said. “I was first nervous when we had no cash donations in the first two days collecting at lunches, then the student body blew us away on Wednesday and Thursday when their hearts started flooding us with kids buying chances to pop a balloon over a faculty members head. In just two days they donated $177 in cash. Along with faculty donators, a few anonymous donators and the help from a big hearted and hardworking fourth grader Colby B., we were able to exceed our $500 goal and top out at $700.”

The event was live streamed on the Bellwood-Antis Event Livestream on YouTube for the whole school to watch during homeroom announcements. Teachers that volunteered were band director Mr. Patrick Sachse, math teacher Mrs. Allison Stinson, athletic director Mr. Charlie Burch, history teacher Mr. Gary Rhoane, Mrs. April Cramer, health and physical education teacher Mr. Nick Lovrich, ninth grader Gabe Waltermire, and high school principal Mr. Richard Schreier. 

Students were able to make donations for the cause each day before school and at lunch.  Students who donated were randomly selected to participate in popping a balloon on a teachers head.

Students who participated were Brendan Andrews, Nick Kost, Parker Lucas, Cole Poorman, Julia Johnson, and Elayna McCaulley. 

A huge thank you goes out to the top donator, Colby B, who donated $198 of the $700. Bellwood couldn’t be more proud of the work this school put into this event. 2021 hasn’t been a good year, but the polar pop shows that there is still good communities in these dark times.

“We may be small, but Bellwood continues to prove to be mighty! Great work Blue Devil Nation!” Mrs. McNaul said.