Blue Devils fall short against Hilltoppers

Blue+Devils+attempting+to+stop+the+constant+run.+
Chloe Stoltzfus/Alyssa Briggs
Blue Devils attempting to stop the constant run.

Bellwood-Antis only let up a total of 3 completions this week against Westmont Hilltop; however, it was for a total of 90 yards and a receiving touchdown.

The Hilltoppers had a total of 168 rushing yards compared to Bellwood’s 102. The Westmont Hilltoppers came out on top with a final score of 14-6.

Westmont was expected to run the ball the entire game, and that’s exactly what they did. They were able to continuously chip away at yards by running the ball and kept on moving the chains.

Both teams shaking hands after a close game.

Stat leaders for the Blue Devils were junior quarterback Holden Schreier with 72 passing yards, freshman Alex Mccartney with 100 rushing yards, and junior Cayden Pellegrine with 29 receiving yards and a touchdown.

“We are disappointed the game did not turn out the way we wanted to,” Coach Nick Lovrich said. “When you step back and look at the film and you start to compare week 1 to week 2, there were some positives.  We played much better on special teams, we cut down on our self-inflicted mistakes that we made in week 1, and defensively we played well.  Offensively we had a lot of little things that if we had done better, the play result would have been better for us.  When you have a 1 score differential in a game, all those little things have big consequences.  We must continue to believe in ourselves, stay together as a team, and keep working to get better.”

Playing their second game as members of the Laurel Highlands Athletic Conference, B-A trailed 7-6 at halftime thanks to a touchdown reception by Cayden Pellegrine in the second quarter, and the score remained that way until the fourth. That was when Barrett Gyure hit Noah Brownlee for a 45-yard touchdown pass with three minutes left in the game.

The new conference is a scary sight for the Bellwood Blue Devils as they are already 0-2, and many tough teams are yet to come. This week the Blue Devils will prepare for their game Friday against Huntington.