ATHLETE OF THE WEEK: Martin Fatzinger

Morgan Kienzle
Martin Fatzinger is leading the way for the cross country team.

The athlete of the week this week is sophomore cross country runner, Martin Fatzinger. Martin has been selected for being the fastest runner on the boys team so far this season. 

This is only Martins second year running cross country, and he is already the fastest runner on the team. Just recently Martin set a new PR, running a 19:17 at Central Cambria, and he is the first runner this season to record a time under 20 minutes. 

Martin looks to keep improving and to continue to set new PRs. He says, “I want to run in the 18:00s and place top 30 in districts at the end of the year.”

Martin is a three sport athlete for Bellwood. Along with cross country, Martin plays for the basketball team in the winter and runs for the track team in the spring. 

To get better over the off season, Martin says that he would run 5 day a week over the summer, and would run 15-20 miles in a week. He also said that basketball and track improved his conditioning and got him into better shape for cross country season. 

Martin first decided to join the cross country team just to get stronger and to get into better shape for basketball. However, it seems that he has found a passion in running as he would like to continue his cross country career outside of high school. After high school he plans to go to college and run for their team. 

Congratulations to Martin on being named athlete of the week, and good luck on your season.