Two musicians qualify for regionals

Photo courtesy of Abi Eckenrod
Abi Eckenrod and Anthony Berardi each qualified for regional band, while Emily Zacker was a runner up.

Last week, three BAHS students participated and placed in the PMEA District 6 band festival, with one senior earning a first chair at regionals.

Senior Abi Eckenrod placed 1st chair overall on the piccolo, sophomore Anthony Berardi placed 2nd chair overall in percussion, and Emily Zacker placed 7th chair overall for percussion.

“I was over the moon excited!” said Eckenrod. “I value festivals such as these because it gives me the chance to make quality music with quality musicians.”

Last year at regions, Abi placed 5th chair for flute but will be using the piccolo this year. With piccolo, musicians are able to record online submittable auditions to advance to All-State band. At region band, piccolo is a competitive instrument because there’s only two musicians.

This year’s Region III band festival will be held at Bald Eagle Area High School from Feb 22-23.

Currently, only Abi and Anthony will be attending region band but if someone can’t make it Zacker is the runner up and could be called upon.