Feature Teacher: Mr. Barr
Mr. Batemans Shop class builds new piece for media center

May 17, 2024

Athlete of the Week: Chase Plummer and Curtis Shedlock

May 17, 2024

Dickinson moves on to states

Dickinson moves on to states

May 16, 2024

Feature Teacher: Mrs. Gonder prepares for retirement

Delaynie McKinney
Mrs. Gonder has helped many students over the years with her kind and caring approach. She will be retiring at the end of this school year.

This year at Bellwood-Antis, several teachers are retiring, people like Mr. Goodman and Mrs. Nycum.

Another is 5th grade teacher Mrs. Christine Gonder.

Mrs. Gonder has been teaching at Bellwood-Antis for 36 years, but she is surprised by “how fast my teaching years flew by and the many wonderful memories I will cherish.”

She’s been an important part of the middle school for decades. She’s an old school teacher who expects a lot from students but gives a lot, too.

— Dr. Wagner

She started teaching almost four decades ago because she wanted to work with children and she has never called a school other than Bellwood home. After she retires she plans on traveling with her husband and make new fulfill full memories.

Her biggest impact, middle school principal Dr. Donald Wagner said, may have been in her ability to push her students in just the right way.

“Mrs. Gonder has been an awesome teacher in the middle school,” he said. “She always sets the bar high for students’ effort and behavior, but also cares about her students and was nurturing and kind.”

Mrs. Gonder said teaching has impacted her life in many ways. One is having the opportunity to teach many wonderful students and meeting their families as well along the way.

Mrs. Gonder has helped many teachers with their teaching career, including 5th grade team colleague Mrs. Stephanie Kuhn, whom Mrs. Gonder assisted adapting to the middle school after making the  big jump from Myers.

“Mrs. Gonder will be missed in 5th grade!” Mrs. Kuhn said.

Mrs. Kuhn is also very excited for her friend to enjoy the next adventures in her life  because “She’s earned it!”

According to Dr. Wagner, Mrs. Gonder’s departure leaves a hole that won’t be easy to fill.

“We are going to miss Mrs. Gonder,” he said. “She’s been an important part of the middle school for decades. She’s an old school teacher who expects a lot from students but gives a lot, too.”

Mrs. Gonder’s advice for new and upcoming teachers is to, “Be flexible and establish good classroom management skills.”