Free college would only raise taxes

Robert VanKirk, Student Contributor

Ronald Reagan once said “Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.”

I believe that college education shouldn’t be free. Doing this would cause a dramatic rise in our taxes. Bernie Sanders commonly mentions Denmark in his speeches. According to CNN, if you have an income over $55,000, you would have to pay the 60.2% income tax. According to Elizabeth Rosen, our country has 7 tax brackets: 10%, 15%, 25%, 28%, 33%, 35%, and 39.6%, none of which are close to Denmark’s. Therefore, going to a socialist idea idea like this could cause our taxes to be significantly higher .

Should we really trust the government with our money more than ourselves?

To continue, there will be people who will abuse the system. Holly Johnson, a frugal lifestyle enthusiast, wrote an article on the “10 Bachelor’s Degrees to Avoid in 2015” The first three are Communications, Psychology, and Theatre Arts. I am always hearing about people going into these majors, whenever they are a practically worthless education. Most people going into these majors barely make any money if they are even lucky enough to find a job after they get out of college. I’m sure that there will be many people that will go into these stupid majors, and under Sanders’ proposal the taxpayers will have to pay for them. Furthermore, I’m sure that there will be people who will go to college to party and the taxpayers will be paying for them, too.

Finally, why should we put the government in charge and give them a monopoly over education? Having many different colleges causes competition, which lowers prices. Also, we will have to end  up paying at least the same thing anyway. The colleges are still going to have to get their money. If we did what Bernie proposed, we would just be paying through taxes instead of having the people getting the education pay for it. Should we really trust the government with our money more than ourselves?

And what about the person who doesn’t want to go to college, or only goes for a couple of years? HE will have to help pay for people going for their Doctorate degree. Therefore, that person will end up paying more in taxes than his education is worth, and the doctor will get a very high paying job and maybe end up paying less in taxes than his education is worth!

So college education shouldn’t be free. Doesn’t work in other countries, so why should we do it?