Season preview: Girls track and field

Courtesy photo provided by the Bellwood-Antis girls track and field team
The Bellwood-Antis girls track and field team won the 2023 ICC invitational title at Juniata Valley High School.

The 2024 girls track and field team will look to continue their dominance in a new conference this year. The team is coming off an ICC championship, but with new competition in the Laurel Highlands Athletic Conference the team will have to work even harder.

The Lady Devils lost many big contributors from last year, such as Lexi Lovrich, Lydia Worthing, and Chelsea McCaulsky.  Lovrich set the school record for the 3200m run last year and all three athletes advanced to the 2023 PIAA championships.

The group returns multiple high placers from last year’s ICC Championship. Chloe Stoltzfus, Rylie Andrews, Chloe Hammond, Lily Gerwert, and Addy Turek all placed in the top three of their respective events at the 2023 ICC Championship meet and will play huge roles in the teams success this year.

“We’re looking forward to seeing how we stack up in the LHAC this year. We had talented seniors graduate last year and are determining our strengths to fill their spots. Our returning athletes have been working hard in the preseason and we have a large group of freshmen who are eager to learn and compete. Overall, our team has a great work ethic and positive attitude. We want to improve throughout the season and perform well at the big meets and districts, said Coach Soisson.

The track teams open their season on March 26 at home against Bald Eagle and Bellefonte.

Good luck to the girls track and field team this season.