From Devil to Griffin

Sue Zong

Senior hoops star Nathan Davis signed his National Letter of Intent yesterday to play for Seton Hill.

Caroline Showalter, Staff Writer

Senior Nathan Davis has committed to Seton Hill University to play basketball on the Division II level.

Nathan, center, along with Coach Brent Gerwert, mother Shelly, and father Todd.
Sue Zong

Nathan said, “It feels really good. It’s something I’ve been working towards my whole life.”

Nathan will be joining his brother Noah next year with Nathan coming in as a freshman and Noah starting his senior season. He is excited to play with Noah and it also factored into his decision on picking Seton Hill.

“I can’t wait. I loved playing with him my freshman year in high school, so it should be even better getting a chance in college,” said Nathan.

Noah is also excited to be playing with Nathan as well. According to Noah, “Few people get to seriously play with their siblings in high school and even fewer get to play with them in college. I’ve missed Na (Nay) these last three years and I’m happy to be with him again.”

Nathan is not sure of his major but is leaning toward education due to the fact both his parents are teachers. He picked Seton Hill, which went 7-19 last season, because he will be able to get home when he needs to because of the train line and also getting to play with his brother.

Noah believes Nathan will fit in well on the team next year. He said, “All the guys are nice, fun people, and when a freshman joins the team they make him feel welcome.”

Nathan has also has spent time with the team because of Noah being there already.

Nathan was born in Indiana, which is a huge basketball state, and got his start at an early age.
“I was shooting on a Little Tykes hoop at a very early age,” he said.

Looks like shooting on that Little Tykes hoop payed off because he now averages 24.7 points, 5.4 assists, 9 rebounds, and 3.6 steals a game. Nathan scored his 1,470 point last season and is planning on breaking the scoring record by beating his own coach. Nathan needs about 200 more points to break it.

Noah said Nathan has been playing above his age level since he was five in the backyard. He believes there is an adjustment for every freshman, but Nathan is mature, talented, and committed to the game.

Nathan’s goal when he was younger to play college basketball and he did everything he could to achieve it. Nathan says it feels great to know that all his hard work has paid off.

It feels really good. It’s something I’ve been working towards my whole life.

— Nathan Davis

Nathan is both excited and nervous to start his last high school basketball season this year. He said the season should be fantastic and can’t wait for one last go of it with my teammates, but it still hasn’t hit him that this is his last season in a Bellwood-Antis uniform.

It’s something that is hard to believe for a high school senior athlete. You don’t even think about it until the season starts and it definitely doesn’t set it until the season is over that you realize you will never play another high school game in that sport again. Nathan is going to do his best to make this season the best before he becomes a Griffin next year.

Seton Hill University is a Catholic university near Pittsburgh, which educates students to think and act critically, creatively, and ethically in society to transform the world. It was founded in 1885, is a 200 acre main hilltop campus with 2,200 plus students and 80 plus undergraduate programs.