Three B-A wrestlers head to regionals today

Terry McCaulley Jr.

Xander Shank will head into the Southwest AA regional tournament as the 7th seed at 152 lbs

Today, 3 B-A wrestlers head to the Southwest AA Regional tournament at Peters Township High School in Pittsburgh to represent our community. Xander Shank, Aarron Laird, and Ethan Norris are all first time regional qualifiers and are looking to punch their ticket to Hershey next week for the state tournament.

Two weeks ago at districts Ethan Norris placed second at 215, Xander Shank placed 3rd at 152, and Aarron Laird placed 6th at Heavyweight. After a turmoil filled season, these wrestlers have defied the odds and overcame adversity to be in the place they are in right now.

“It feels great for us, even after our coaches quit we still stayed focused as a team and worked hard throughout the end of the season and postseason” said senior Aarron Laird.

The wrestling team struggled in the record books with a 1-16 record, but had success on the mat, winning most of their matches if forfeits didn’t play a factor.

Ethan Norris enters the regional tournament as the 5th seed, and will face Logan Millward from Freedom Area High School in the first round. Xander Shank enters as the 7th seed and faces Isaac Pisano from Hopewell High School. Finally, Aaron Laird enters the tournament as the 16th seed and wrestles a pigtail bout against Donavin Stiffler from Ellwood City High School.

Wrestling begins tonight at 5 PM, and will continue into Saturday as well.

The community of Bellwood wishes our wrestlers Xander, Aarron, and Ethan the best of luck this weekend! Go Blue Devils!