Law class holds mock trials
Priced out of playing

Priced out of playing

April 26, 2024

BAHS teachers get their classrooms back

BAHS teachers get their classrooms back

April 26, 2024

Student teacher support program launches in Pennsylvania

April 26, 2024

Feature Teacher: Miss Poplin

Olivia Hess
Miss Poplin is getting ready for the day’s classes!

Bellwood-Antis welcomed a new teacher in the English department for this year: Miss Devin Poplin.

Miss Poplin obtained her bachelor’s degree in English from Penn State Altoona, and her master’s in Curriculum and Instruction from Penn State University Park.

Before her path in education began, Miss Poplin spent time as a cosmetologist, a waitress, and even a dance teacher. But, she ultimately decided that teaching was the right profession for her.

As a B-A alumna, the decision to come back to her alma mater was one of ease. Miss Poplin had a “great experience” as a student and prefers the small-town environment. Her sister, two brothers, mother, and long-term boyfriend have also been students here. 

“I love how familiar everything is at Bellwood and how helpful and friendly all the other teachers are,” she quoted.

She gives credit to Mr. Naylor, as he was one of her favorite teachers as a student, and even helped her make the move into education. 

Miss Poplin recalled, “When I was considering going to college and entering the world of education, I reached out to Mr. Naylor for advice. He is a big reason that I am here today.”

She is looking forward to teaching an upcoming autobiography assignment in her English classes, reading great books, and hearing her students’ opinions.

Specifically, one of Miss Poplin’s favorite reads is To Kill a Mockingbird. The book was what inspired her to get into reading, and she hopes it does the same for the students who read it this year. 

Outside of school, Miss Poplin “love[s] almost anything creative”. 

“I am always working on some kind of project, lately it has been remodeling furniture,” she commented.

Even though Miss Poplin has been dancing since she was four years old, she is still actively involved in the art. She not only teaches dance classes but also participates in some, occasionally. 

Miss Poplin is very excited to be back at Bellwood-Antis, and we are thrilled to have her!