Law class holds mock trials
Priced out of playing

Priced out of playing

April 26, 2024

BAHS teachers get their classrooms back

BAHS teachers get their classrooms back

April 26, 2024

Student teacher support program launches in Pennsylvania

April 26, 2024

Cuevas cops regional wrestling title

B-A sophomore headed to Hershey in pursuit of PIAA gold
Juliette Cuevas displays her winning bracket on the podium at Milton Area High School on Saturday. Cuevas won the regional tournament at 100 pounds and advanced to the PIAA championships.

One of BA’s female wrestler has made history.

Sophomore Juliette Cuevas will make a run at states after placing 1st at the Central Regional championships last Saturday at Milton High School. She will wrestle in the 100 pound weight class this weekend at Hershey for a shot at a state title.

Bellwood-Antis has never had a PIAA wrestling champion. The closest the program has come was a runner-up performance from Ron Wilson in 1981.

“I feel great and I’m super proud of myself. I’m happy to have this experience and thankful for all the support from my coaches,” Juliette said. “The girls at Districts and Regionals were tough and great competition.”

Juliette Cuevas will set out in search of B-A’s first PIAA wrestling title this week in Hershey.

To earn the championship, Juliette had to face some of the top wrestlers in Pennsylvania.

In Juliette’s first match she pinned Mikayla Martin from Selinsgrove, in 56 seconds. Then in her second match, she decisioned the 5th ranked girl in the state, Mia Gifford of Western Wayne, 8-7.

In the semis, Juliette pinned the 10th ranked girl in PA, Danica Bacorn of Williamsport, in 3 minutes, and 53 seconds.

In the final match of the day, the championship finals, Juliette decisioned the 8th ranked girl in the state, Autumn Shoff of Moshannon Valley, 10-6. Shoff had pinned Juliette in the District 6 semifinals last week.

The title win was an incredible feat for Juliette, especially since this is her first year wrestling,  and she was a No. 9 seed going in.

She credited some of her success to another combat sport she participates in.

“I’m thankful for my jiujitsu coach for the support and how he pushed me through and past my breaking point and getting me mentally prepared,” she said.

B-A wrestling coach Nick Torsell couldn’t have been prouder of Juliette, who is the first B-A wrestler to make it to Hershey in his 2-years as coach.

“Juliette is a special individual. Winning this PIAA regional title is no small task,” he said. “To put it into perspective, she won all four of her matches, with three of the girls she beat being ranked in the top 10, all in one day.”

Coach Torsell was quite optimistic about Juliette’s chances this weekend in the PIAA tournament.

“I think it’s very possible we come home from Hershey with gold, as well,” he said.

Juliette, too, has high hopes.

“I’m excited for states and think this is a great opportunity for Bellwood to make history,” she said.

Juliette wasn’t the only Bellwood girl in the tournament, her teammates Elliana Patterson and Hailey Loupe also had themselves a day. Elliana lost in the second round, but won her consolation match. Hailey lost in the first round, and lost her consolation match.