Leo Club to sponsor Red Cross Blood Drive

Hannah Klesius, Staff Writer

Beginning at 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday, November 4, the Bellwood-Antis Leo Club will be hosting a Red Cross Blood Drive in the middle school gym. This event is open to any student or faculty member who schedules an appointment before 1:45 p.m. It is not open to the public.

Mrs. Carol Bartlett, teacher at Bellwood-Antis and Leo Club adviser, knows just how important it is for high school students to get involved and help out.

“The Red Cross needs more donors from younger generations to help maintain the nation’s blood supply,” said Mrs. Bartlett. “High school students can serve their community as well as meet the needs of patients at local hospitals. Teenagers can start a life-long commitment of donating blood to save lives.”

Students who donate can really save a life, and their donation matters in many ways.

Still not sure whether or not you want to donate?

“According to the Red Cross,” Mrs. Bartlett stated, “every two seconds someone needs blood. People who have been in an accident, had surgery, or have a serious illness require blood. Students who donate can really save a life, and their donation matters in many ways. Young people can become someone’s hero by donating blood; the experience is definitely meaningful.”

Students who are eligible to give must be at least 16 years of age and have signed parent consent. Those of the age of 17 or older do not need signed parent permission.

It is imperative all participants have a picture ID or donor card for your appointment.

On the day of the blood drive, students who have signed up will receive a donation bracelet with their scheduled time written on it. Students will not be permitted to donate blood without this bracelet and are not allowed to come down without an appointment.