Renaissance holds Day of Giving

Students participate in a day of giving to the community and decorations in the school. (Zach Miller)

Chelsea McCaulsky, Staff Writer

The Bellwood-Antis Renaissance Club hosted the first annual Day of Giving on Wednesday, November 26, the day students were dismissed early for Thanksgiving Break.

Students at Bellwood Antis High school gathered together to help the community over the first four periods of the school day.   Some of the events students could choose from were making holiday cards for soldiers, picking up litter along nearby roads, helping at Myers Elementary School, decorating classroom doors and bathrooms, and mini-THON fundraising at local stores.

This was important to Renaissance because it was a way Bellwood could give back to the community. 

Adviser Ms. Carrie Clippard said, “A half-day going into break is not a very educational day, so we decided to take that day and help out the community in so many different ways.  The students came up with all the activities as well.” 

Caroline Nagle a junior Renaissance officer, said, “The idea of day of giving is good because the students get the full outlook of helping people in the community. We came up with the events by thinking what will the students do that they would want to get involved and be excited about helping out the community?” 

Students were also able to participate in several activities for retired veterans, like making blankets.

Any free time was used for students to become acclimated to Xello, a new online career help app purchased by the school district this year.