Unsung Hero: Corey George

BA senior donates double the amount of blood

Back to Article
Back to Article

Unsung Hero: Corey George

Corey George was a true hero a couple weeks ago  when he gave a double donation at the blood drive.

Corey George was a true hero a couple weeks ago when he gave a double donation at the blood drive.

Ali Wagner

Ali Wagner

Ali Wagner

Every two seconds, someone in the United States needs blood.

At the annual American Red Cross Blood Drive, several Bellwood-Antis students showed their courage and stepped up to help others in need by donating one pint of their blood that could potentially save 3 lives, which is a very heroic act in itself. However, one student went above and beyond.

Bellwood-Antis senior Corey George laid on the donation table for 20 minutes, donating double the normal amount of blood.

“I’ve been donating double the normal amount of blood each year I’ve done it,” says Corey.

Many students hesitate before they make the final decision to give blood because of the physical effects. Students in the past have experienced some of the most common side effects of giving blood: nausea, lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting.

“After I donated I felt slightly dizzy, but was fine after sitting down for about 10 minutes,” Corey says.

Such an unselfish act of heroism will often brighten your own day, along with someone else’s.

“I feel good knowing that my donation will help someone in need,” says Corey.

All in all, he’s donated 8 pints of blood to the American Red Cross, and he wishes to keep donating in the future.