SPORTS ROUND-UP: VanKirk returns to the 18s

Terry McCaulley

Senior Robert VanKirk got his 5K time down into the 18s yesterday for the first time since early September.

Jake Miller, Sports Writer

Senior runner Robert VanKirk topped the field yesterday in a home meet against Cambria Heights and conference rival Juniata Valley.

VanKirk won the meet with a speedy time of 18:51, a second off of his best time of the season which he got at the Big Valley Invitational. He was tailed closely by Juniata Valley’s Kyle DeRugen who came in a full ten seconds behind VanKirk with a time of 19:01.

B-A also took third and fifth with senior Jake Miller and junior Nick Padula making good times of 19:32 and 20:27 respectively.

The Blue Devils took the meet against Juniata Valley 21-34 and Cambria Heights 18-41.

Unfortunately, B-A’s girls cross country team didn’t fair as well.

In a close meet they lost to Cambria Heights and Juniata Valley, losing to the former 32-24 and the latter 33-25.

Jenna Bartlett, as usual, placed first overall against both girls teams, but she was trailed closely by the Lady Highlander’s Quinn McElhenny with only 3 seconds separating the two.

The Lady Blue Devil’s next finisher, Adysin Gilbert, finished 7th overall with a time of 25:26, with B-A sophomore Ashley Yohn rounding out the top ten with a time of 25:46.

Both teams will run again Thursday at home which will be the teams senior night. The meet will start at 4:00 P.M.

Lady Blue Devils sweep Williamsburg

Bellwood-Antis’ girls volleyball team won all three sets to beat the Williamsburg Lady Blue Pirates in Williamsburg last night.

B-A was lead by sophomores Sydney Lechner and Sakeria Haralson, who each picked up eleven and nine points respectively. Lechner also continued to show off her play-making skills, and picked up 10 assists, while Haralson picked up six blocks.

Throughout the match, the Lady Blue Devils didn’t allow Williamsburg within 7 points of them, winning the first and closest set 25-18, the second 25-11, and the third and final set 25-16.

This is the second time Bellwood-Antis has topped the Lady Blue Pirates this season after also sweeping Williamsburg at home in September.

The Lady Blue Devils now hold a record of 10-3 and will play again Thursday against Claysburg-Kimmel away from home.