Blue Devils claim wins over Glendale and Central Cambria

Morgan Kienzle
Camden Swogger frames a pitch against Central Cambria. The Blue Devils won the game to even their record at 5-5.

After a tough start, the Bellwood-Antis baseball team battled back to reach .500 last week, evening its record at 5-5 with wins over Glendale and Central Cambria.

You can check out a slide show from B-A’s game against the Vikings here.

The B-A baseball team took down former ICC opponent Glendale on Thursday, winning 7-2 at home.

Bellwood came out of the gate hot, putting up three runs in the first inning. They would have four scoreless innings until the bottom of the sixth, when they put up a 4-run inning.

The boys had only 6 hits, but they were able to capitalize on Glendale pitchers inaccuracy. Glendale walked nine batters between two pitchers.

Senior Zach Pier went 1-2 with an RBI and two walks. Sophomore Camden Swogger also went 1-2 with an RBI and a walk.

On the bump for B-A was senior Vincent Cacciotti, throwing 5 innings and only allowing one run while striking out four. Freshman, Curtis Shedlock came in to relieve Cacciotti and threw 2 scoreless innings, allowing only one hit and striking out three.

On Friday the boys took down the Central Cambria Red Devils, putting the Blue Devils as the superior devils with a score of 8-3.

Central Cambria came out swinging, in the first inning they put up two runs. Bellwood responded to that by putting up three runs in the first and taking away their only lead they would have all game. B-A would score one run in the fifth and four more in the sixth.

The Blue Devils capitalized on Central Cambria struggling in the field to put runners on, Central Cambria had five errors, while Bellwood had none.

Zach Pier led the team offensively, going 2-3 with a double, a walk, and an RBI. Vincent Cacciotti, Matt Berkowitz, and Chase Plummer each had an RBI a piece.

Zach Gonzalez was on the mound to start the game, throwing three innings and allowing three runs on seven hits and one walk, while striking out four. Curtis Shedlock has been finding his groove on the mound recently and has become a key piece in recent Blue Devil wins. He came in to relieve Gonzalez and threw four innings, allowing just one hit while facing 14 batters and striking out four.

The boys are now 5-5 and are hosting the 2-5 Clearfield Bison today at 4:30.