Bellwood-Antis Plays Host to County Band

Mr.+Arthur+Belfoire%2C+director+of+Bands+at+Mifflin+County+High+School%2C+works+with+County+Band+members+during+practice+last+week.++

Mr. Arthur Belfoire, director of Bands at Mifflin County High School, works with County Band members during practice last week.

The Blair County Senior High Band Festival was hosted by Bellwood-Antis High School on Wednesday, April 15th. Band members from Hollidaysburg, Altoona, Claysburg Kimmel, Williamsburg, Tyrone, Spring Cove, and Bellwood-Antis high schools came together and practiced for the festival in the B-A auditorium.

Mr. Arthur Belfoire, Director of Bands at Mifflin County High School, was the guest conductor while B-A band director, Mr.Sachse, was the host director.

“County band is rewarding and fun. You get to meet new people and play in front of people you probably wouldn’t have before,” said Spring Cove band member Brandon Hazenstab.

Mr.Sachse said there are plenty of challenges in hosting county band, but the students get a lot out of it.

“It takes months of planning and getting all of the equipment ready and in order to use,” Mr. Sachse said. “The students get to meet people from other schools. The smaller schools even get a chance to play in a band with 100 members.”

Students in grades 10 through 12th are eligible to be a part of county band. “Requirements are based on the director’s recommendations. To be picked, the band member must be a strong player and be academically eligible,” Sachse said.