Feature Teacher: Mr. Mackereth leads through scouts

Mikala McCracken

Mr. Mackereth has been involved with Boy Scouts as a leader since 2008.

Leah Farber, Staff Writer

Mr. James Mackereth, the Industrial Arts teacher, has taken a childhood hobby and turned it into a lifelong pursuit.

Mr. Mackereth has been advising Boy Scouts since 2008 and he currently serves as his local Troop 28’s treasurer. But, he has been involved with Boy Scouts for much longer. When he was a kid he reached the rank of Boy Scout of America Life Scout.

Students spend why too much time on ‘screens’ and not enough time outdoors, or working with their hands. I believe scouts fills this void.

— Mr. Mackereth

He always loved Boy Scouts of America and when his sons joined, he started to help out.

“I have always believed that BSA is an excellent organization that prepares young people for success in life. I became more active as a scout leader when my sons became Cub Scouts, and later Boy Scouts,” Mr. Mackereth said.

Bellwood started a Scout Club in 2010-11 school year, with the help of Mr. Mackereth.

On that note, he says for him to be effective advising Scouts and teaching Industrial Arts takes a lot of time for preparation work and planning. However, he finds the extra work rewarding when he sees the success and accomplishments of the scouts.

Mr. Mackereth helps scouts obtain merit badges and also facilitates eight required workshops, which consist of: Citizenship World, Personal Fitness, Communications, and Environmental Science, ext. He also holds a number of Scout Club activities that promote skills ranging from auto maintenance, forestry, and graphic arts to woodworking, and plant science, among others.

Ninth grader Tyler McCaulsky said having Mr. Mackereth available in the school has been  a big help.

“He’s helped me start my Eagle Scout, and he’s helped me to start and finish many badges,” Tyler said. “If I have questions about scouts, I can always ask him for help.”

Mr. Mackereth said that he really recommends kids join scouts.

“In my opinion, students spend why too much time on ‘screens’ and not enough time outdoors, or working with their hands. I believe scouts fills this void of needing life experience and outdoor opportunities,” said Mr. Mackereth.