Blue Angels continue to spread Christmas cheer

Kaelynn Behrens

There’s still time to take a tag from one of the Blue Angels’ Christmas trees and spread some holiday cheer.

It’s that time of year again: Blue Angels R Us is back in town.

This initiative to spread Christmas cheer through charity was started eighteen years ago by district resident and B-A Foundation member Crystal Himes, along with the students of Bellwood-Antis. During the Christmas of 2000, Himes was teaching junior achievement in the classroom of Mrs. Andrea Brant, who retired two years ago, and this idea was that of her and her students to better the community. The initial purpose of this program was to show students how important community service really is.

I work with families in need every day and know that any help makes a difference in their lives,” said Himes.

Blue Angels R Us is an organization where students and faculty at Bellwood-Antis are able to pick a present that they are willing to get and bring in to donate to an anonymous needy family. Last Christmas, Blue Angels R Us helped 55 families, 38 foster children, and 11 individuals.

Gift ideas are specific to the needs of the students who will receive presents through the program.

You can pick up your tag at one of the three Christmas trees on campus. There is one at Myers Elementary, the Bellwood-Antis Middle school, and the Bellwood-Antis High school.

Donations will be acceptable from November 7th to December 1st and participation is completely voluntary but encouraged.