Athlete of the Week: John Kost

Terry McCaulley

John Kost is shining in the leadoff spot for the Blue Devil baseball team.

Hope Shook, Staff Writer

Junior John Kost has been playing baseball since he was four years old, and under the direction of his father he fell in love with the sport.

John first started playing baseball in the Bellwood minor league at seven years old, and slowly worked his way up to the Bellwood varsity baseball team.

John lettered on varsity as a freshman and went on to letter his sophomore year as well, and he has hopes of lettering his last two years of high school.

“I am a two year letter winner, and I am most proud of lettering my freshman year. Many freshman do not letter unless they start, so I’m really happy about lettering,” said Kost.

Baseball is loved by many for many different reasons, and that’s what makes the sport special to everyone.

“My favorite part about baseball is how relaxed the sport is, but you also have to be skilled to play the game,” he said.

Kost has many baseball achievements along with the team, but he still has many goals for the rest of the season.

“I want us to win as many games as we can in the rest of the season, and have fun while we play,” said Kost.

Kost is a player that anyone should be proud to call their teammeate, and Coach Steve Conlon agrees.

“John started the season hitting in the nine spot, since we made the move to put him at leadoff, the results have been outstanding. He is a true leadoff hitter, he works deep into counts and draws walks. Once he is on base, his speed is a tremendous asset. He is a threat to steal at anytime for us. Overall, he is having an outstanding season,” said Coach Steve Conlon.

This season John is batting .353 with 18 runs and five stolen bases. He’s got a .532 on-base percentage, and he has driven in five runs.