BA displays another mock car accident

Kaelynn Behrens

Mock Car Accident 2019

Kaelynn Behrens, Editor in Chief

On Wednesday, April 24, the Bellwood-Antis School District partnered with the Excelsior Fire Company No. 1 to display a realistic but mock car accident.

Excelsior wanted to get involved in some community education work and that is when they reached out to BA.

“We are here to not only serve our community with fire service, but to also do our part to educate our community, young and old, about the ways they can make a difference,” said Nicki Taylor, the secretary for Excelsior.

The main purpose of this event was to show the students and staff what could happen in the even of a motor vehicle crash involving and impaired driver. Unfortunate events happen like this everyday with someone impaired by alcohol, drugs, or even texting. Every distraction counts.

At 9 a.m. students were dismissed to go out on the practice field in between the elementary school and the high school. There, students witnessed two post-wreck vehicles with actors portraying injured or deceased persons. The fire company and AMED showed students what they must do to save those who are still living and what they must do with those who did not make it.

According to the B-A high school principal, Mr. Richard Schreier, if this production saves at least one life, then we consider it a success.

“We want to bring safety to the forefront of young students minds and also show them the impact this could have on, not only their lives, but the lives of others,” said Schrier.

This event is displayed every other year at Bellwood-Antis and the effects have been overwhelmingly positive.

“I think it went very well, and it gave kids an eye-opener on what really goes on,” said sophomore Bryant Mahute, a member of Excelsior since 2017 who took part in the mock accident. “Our message obviously isn’t that we want something like this to happen, but you have to make it very stern and brutal so people realize the truth.”