Proactive steps for preventing coronavirus at B-A

Corbin Nale

Hand washing is one of many simple steps students can take to protect themselves against coronavirus.

Malia Danish, Staff Writer

The coronavirus, started in Wuhan, China, is causing world-wide worry. 

This virus is caused by a member of the coronavirus family that has never been encountered before, and as of today, there have been 10 deaths caused by Covid-19 in the U.S.  

Bellwood-Antis doesn’t have a plan for dealing with coronavirus yet, but a plan is in the works.

“The administration is in the process of developing a plan for the virus,” said Superintendent Dr. Thomas McInroy.  “Also, the superintendents will be meeting in the near future to share ideas about the keep our children safe.”

In the meantime, nurse Kelly Hoover said there are plenty of ways for B-A students and teachers to be proactive.

“The Coronavirus is just like the flu, and is a flu. More people are dying from the flu than the Coronavirus,” said Mrs. Hoover. 

Mrs. Hoover said frequent handwashing, coughing and sneezing into the elbow, staying at home when sick, and avoiding contact with people who are sick is the best way to avoid it.  

“I think people are really afraid right now, and they just need to realize that if they take precautions themselves it increases your chances of staying away from the coronavirus, or any flu for that matter,” said Mrs. Hoover. 

She said that the virus is spread through the air, spliced through droplets in the air from an infected person coughing, sneezing, or talking.  

The ages that are at the highest risk by the virus are the elderly, the young, and people with underlying respiratory health issues. Most of the deaths that have been caused by the virus so far are the elderly. 

“Usually influenza tends to regress in warmer temperatures, but scientists are not sure how the corona virus will react in higher temperatures,” Mrs. Hoover said when asked if she thought if warmer weather will stop the outbreak.  

Overall, if the corona virus did find its way to Bellwood, the best way to prepare yourselves is to take the precautions above.