B-A students prepare for Eagle Scout recognition

BASD photos

Joey Balsamo, Ben Carr, and Patrick Coakley are working towards becoming Eagle Scouts.

Aarron Laird, Page Editor

Boys Scout Troop 28 of Bellwood has three Boys Scouts that are at the point of becoming Eagle Scouts.

The three boy scouts are Patrick Coakley, a senior at Bellwood-Antis, Joey Balsamo, a junior, and Ben Carr, also a junior.

Earning this recognition is not easy. Some requirements to become an Eagle Scout include being active in the troop for at least six months as a Life Scout, showing dedication to the Scout Oath and Scout Law, providing references from family, work, church, and other community groups, earning 21 merit Badges, serving a minimum of six months in a leadership position, proposing, planning, and carrying out an Eagle Scout Project, attending a Scoutmaster conference, and passing a board of review

Carr already completed his Eagle Scout Project, which is a Pavilion at Excelsior Fire Dept #1. He is waiting on final approvals.

Balsamo is the second one to start working on his Eagle Scout Project. He is making picnic tables for the pavilion. He made 6 8-foot tables.

Coakley is making 8-foot-by-8 foot flower beds beside the green house in the outdoor classroom.

“This project is part of a long list requirements the boys have to have completed for their Eagle Scout,” said Scout Master Jim Mackereth.

Scouts have to work their way through 7 different ranks to become an Eagle Scout and move from rank to rank. They receive their Life Scout rank sixth. This lets  Scouts begin to look for an Eagle Scout project.

Most projects involve building something, but they’re not limited to construction. Among the parameters for the project, it has to be for a non-profit organization, and  show great effort leadership skills.

These Scouts have put in so much time and effort into these projects and they have earned everything they needed to become an eagle scout. They did a great job and The BluePrint wanted to give them a big congratulations for doing everything they have done so far.