B-A extends Free Breakfast Program

JoJo Caswell

Free school breakfasts have been extended in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

After the COVID pandemic, Bellwood-Antis instated a free lunch and breakfast program for all students paid for with federal funding.

At the beginning of the 2022-2023 academic year it seemed like the program was coming to an end following the announcement that lunches would no longer be free.

However, last month B-A extended the breakfast program for students thanks to an initiative by Pennsylvania governor Tom Wolf.

Wolf announced a $21.5 million plan to provide universal free breakfasts for over 1.7 million students across the commonwealth. The program went into effect October 1st and will run until the end of the 2022-23 school year.

From March 2020 through the 2021-22 school year, students were afforded free meals from school as a result of waivers approved by the U.S. Department of Agriculture due to Coronavirus.

Although the date will be extended, the same policy will apply. The regular school meal, which is a milk, one fruit or vegetable, and the main course is free. But, if you wanted to get anything extra that is not included in the regular meal, either from the cafeteria, A la Carte, or the media center you will need to have money in your account.

The rule states that: “All students must have sufficient funds in their school lunch account in order to be eligible to purchase any items beyond their regular school meal.”