Lady Devils cop ICC title

Courtesy photo provided by the Bellwood-Antis girls track and field team

The Bellwood-Antis girls track and field team won the 2023 ICC invitational title at Juniata Valley High School.

Tighe Eaken Jr., Jacob Hawn, Staff Writer

Yesterday at Juniata Valley High School in Alexandria, the Bellwood-Antis girls track and field team was crowned champions of the ICC invitational meet in their final year competing the conference and the first under the leadership of new coach Jennifer Soisson.

The win capped an unbeaten run through the regular season for the Lady Devils and, according to Coach Soisson, provided some redemption from last season, when the girls went undefeated in league competition but lost in the ICC meet.

“To take home the win of the ICC Championship was an exciting closing celebration to this season and conference,” Coach Soisson said. “We’re fortunate to have a team full of people who are focused, driven, and ready to meet any challenge.  Yesterday had some tough competitors in several events. The depth we have is our largest contributor to success. The Lady Blue Devils placed in 17 of the 18 events.”

The B-A boys, on the other hand, suffered a heartbreaking 2nd place finish after senior Dylan Andrews was injured competing in the triple jump. Later on, Andrews, who is undefeated in pole vault, could not compete in his top event, which negated an almost guaranteed 10 points for the Blue Devils.

The winning pole vaulting height for the boys was 12-09. Andrews PR this season is 14-6 and he normally enters meets at 13.

We’re fortunate to have a team full of people who are focused, driven, and ready to meet any challenge.

— Coach Soisson

The boys fell short by just 3 points to eventual champ Everett. Like the Lady Devils, the Blue Devils had run their conference season without a loss.

“Yesterday was, no doubt, a tough loss,” said Blue Devil coach Nick Lovrich. “We talk all year about how important every point is in a meet.  Yesterday was no exception.  When you look at a meet like yesterday where we came in second by 3 points, there are lots of spots where we may have been able to get a couple more points.  We did have some good performances, but Everett has a very good team and they were just a little better than us yesterday.  We still have our ICC league championship to feel good about from the season and are looking to move forward and focus on the District track meet next week.”

Next spring, B-A will compete as a member of the expanding Laurel Highlands Conference.

Throughout the entire meet, BA had a very impressive 44 total athletes and relay teams that were able to place in the top 6 of their given events.

The Lady Devils crowned champions in four individual events.  Senior and B-A record holder Alexis Lovrich surprised nobody when she placed first in the 3200m with a time of 12:38.45, and also first in the 1600m run with a time of 5:42.39. Along with Alexis, Lydia Worthing placed first in the girls pole vault with a best height of 10-0.

Chelsea McCaulsky was able to place 1st in javelin with a best distance of 111-7, and she also placed 3rd in the discus.

The girls 400 relay team of Brielle Campbell, Worthing, Chloe Hammond and Briley Campbell earned an ICC title, finishing in 52.97.

Aside from outstanding talent, Coach Soisson credited her team’s success to its chemistry.

“The girls all know how to be good teammates and it’s a joy to watch them support and encourage each other.  Their work ethic and sportsmanship have been our biggest strengths this season,” she said.

On the boys side, junior Kole Dickinson was the lone gold medal winner, taking home 1st place in the 110m hurdles and 2nd place in the 300m hurdles. 

Senior Eli Pluebell was able to place 2nd in the shot put with his season best distance of 41-4, and also place 6th in discus with a best throw of 106-3.

Although Andrews was not able to participate in the pole vault, junior Dalton Poorman held his own for the team and was able to place 3nd, with a best height of 11-6.

Dylan was still able to lace 3rd in the triple jump event though, with a best jump of 39-0.5.

Baseball team rallies past Titans

Down by 3 runs after the first 3 innings, the Bellwood-Antis baseball team made a comeback win over Tussey Mountain. 

B-A scored a total of 4 runs in innings 4 and 5, securing a 4-3 win over Tussey.

This win puts B-A at an overall record of 11-4 for the season.  

Senior Nick Kost and sophomore Hunter Kyle finished the game with two RBI’s each, with sophomore Matt Berkowitz having one RBI. 

Juniors Chris Walls and Vincent Cacciotti did the work on the mound. Walls started and went 5 innings while Cacciotti came on for the 2-inning save at the end. Walls struck out 7 in earning the win.

Next on the schedule for the Blue Devils is West Branch, which will be an away game.