Ethan Johnston moves onto District 6 championship

Volleyball and cross country each suffer losses
Manning photography
Ethan Johnston advanced to the District 6 2A championships with a top-30 finish at sectionals.

Bellwood-Antis Senior, Ethan Johnston shot a 83 in yesterdays district 6 sectionals to move on to the district 6 2A championship.

The match was held yesterday at Ebensburg Country Club. The top 4 teams and 30 individuals will compete in the District 6 2A Championships on Tuesday at Scotch Valley Country Club.

Johnston was happy to advance although it wasn’t his best day. “Could have been a lot cleaner. The back 9 there is really tough. I didn’t drop any birdie puts, and I had two triple bogies,” Johnston said.

Johnston’s best score this year was 75, which was also at Ebensburg Country Club.

CROSS COUNTRY TEAMS HAVE STRONG PERFORMANCES

The Bellwood-Antis cross country teams fell in a triangular meet Wednesday to Altoona, Bedford and Central Cambria.

Although neither team was able to come away with a win, most runners recorded personal-best times.

Freshman Blake Pennington was among them, finishing in 21:40 to place 10th overall. Junior Riley Andrews had a top-20 finish in 23:01.

Sophomore Martin Fatzinger was the Devils top performer on the boys side, finishing in 19:17. Corry Shanafelt posted a 20:39.

VOLLEYBALL SUFFERS LOSS

Tuesday night, the Lady Blue Devils volleyball team lost to Huntingdon 3-2.

Bellwood was able to get ahead winning 2 sets to 1; however, this lead would not be enough to close it out as the Lady Bearcats fought back stole the victory.

The final set was a nailbiter, with the Lady Bearcats winning it 15-12.

Bellwood’s juniors were standout players with Addy Turek having 15 kills, Ava Patton 15 digs and 10 kills, and Avah Hassler 11 digs and 18 assists. From the serving side Hassler led the team with 11 service points and Patton and Corrado both added 9 a piece.

With the loss Bellwood drops to 6-2.

The girls next game is tonight when they take on Hollidaysburg away.