Bellwood takes down Greater Johnstown

Bellwood’s senior captains head to mid-field for the last time. (Morgan Kienzle)

Friday night, Bellwood hosted Greater Johnstown in the final regular season game. This game was also Senior Night for Bellwood. The Blue Devils looked dominant for the first time this year, winning 40-6. Bellwood finishes the season with a 2-8 record in their inaugural season as a member of the LHAC.

Bellwood jumped ahead early after Chance Schreier returned a fumble for a touchdown less than 2 minutes into the game. Schreier wasn’t done yet, as the Senior caught a 5-yard touchdown pass halfway through the first quarter.

“It feels great. Being able to finish the season like that makes the rest of the year a little bit easier to look back on,” said Chance Schreier.

Bellwood ended their first quarter onslaught with a 8-yard rushing touchdown by Alex McCartney. The Blue Devils had an 18-0 lead heading into the second quarter of action.

The Blue Devils kept adding on and McCartney scored his second rushing touchdown of the game. The Blue Devils final score of the half was a 17-yard touchdown pass caught by senior Josh Dorminy.

Bellwood headed into halftime with a 33-0 lead.

The second half was quiet from both sides.

The Blue Devils were able to add one more score on a 29-yard rushing touchdown by senior Jordan Hescox.

The Blue Devil seniors played a huge role in the game as the coaches wanted to give them a proper sendoff. Seniors Chance Schreier, Jordan Hescox, and Josh Dorminy all found the endzone. Also senior Dalton Poorman caught a pass for a 2-point conversion.

Greater Johnstown was down by 40 points late in the third quarter, but was able to score on a 57-yard catch and run. The Trojans were finally on the board with forty-five seconds left in the third.

Blue Devil freshman Alex McCartney ended his season with one last monster game on the ground. McCartney rushed for 144 yards on 23 carries to go along with 2 touchdowns. McCartney ends the year with 1,162 total rushing yards and 12 touchdowns.

Bellwood held onto a 40-6 lead until the end of the game.

The Blue Devils picked up the senior night win and the seniors got to sing the alma mater one last time in front of the Bellwood fans. The season did not go how they envisioned, but it was a picture perfect game for the team to end with.