Hoops teams drop LHAC contests

Morgan Kienzle
Connor Bardell and the Blue Devil basketball team dropped a mercy rule decision to Hollidaysburg on Wednesday.

The Bellwood-Antis boys and girls basketball teams each dropped LHAC games Wednesday night, with the girls falling in an intersectional matchup at home and the boys losing on the road in the County Seat.

The Lady Blue Devils hosted Forest Hills for the annual “Pink Out” game. The Lady Rangers handed Bellwood their eighth loss of the season, outscoring B-A 55-46.

This was a close game throughout, as the Lady Devils were never down more than single digits to end a quarter.

To start the game, both teams were battling, but Forest Hills managed to win the quarter by one point, 14-13.

In the second, Forest Hills continued their steady attack. They put up another 14 in the quarter, but this time they held B-A to just nine, and went up six, 28-22 at the halfway point.

It was more of the same for the Lady Rangers in the second half. In the third, Bellwood put up a solid ten points, but Forest Hills still outscored them with 13, to put them up 41-32 entering the the final quarter.

In the fourth, the Lady Rangers put up another 14 points. B-A did their best to battle back, but Forest Hill’s consistency kept them in the lead to end the game.

Sophomore, Lilly Gerwert had a strong game, putting up 18 points, and leading all scorers. The only other Bellwood scorer to reach double figures was junior, Jenna Norton, as she added 10 points for the Lady Devils.

On the boys side, the Blue Devils traveled to take on Hollidaysburg Wednesday night. B-A lost to the Golden Tigers by a score of 62-35. The game dropped Bellwood’s record to 4-14.

Hollidaysburg came out of the gates on fire, scoring 25 points in the first. B-A fought back, but only managed 11 points in the period.

Bellwood struggled defensively in the second quarter as well allowing 15 points. Hollidaysburg went on a 10-1 run near the end of the first half and headed into halftime with full control of the game.

The Blue Devils trailed 40-18 at the break and lost Chance Schreier for the second half due to an ankle injury.

The Golden Tigers had a strong third quarter and limited Bellwood to single digit points. Hollidaysburg had a 61-25 lead heading into the fourth quarter.

The Blue Devils continued to battle in the fourth, but it wasn’t enough to come back from the huge deficit. Bellwood ended the game down by 33.

The Blue Devils next game is against Central Cambria Friday night.