Lady Blue Devils ready for Penns Manor in first round of playoffs

Lady+Blue+Devils+vs+Bellefonte%3B+1%2F10%2F24+
Morgan Kienzle
Lady Blue Devils vs Bellefonte; 1/10/24

The Lady Blue Devils basketball team is ready to hit the road tonight for the first round of the District 6 2A playoffs. They will be facing off against Penns Manor at 7:00.

No. 6 Bellwood-Antis ended its regular season with a final record of 14-8, while third-seeded Penns Manor had a final record of 21-3. The Lady Rockets are hosting the game in Clymer.

Coach Kyley Longo and her team are ready for the game They’ve got a tough draw, considering for the Lady Devils to win a District title they would have to beat the third, second, and first seeds.

“Our mindset all year has been you can put anyone in front of us, and we will play them,” she said. “Anytime you have an opportunity to play in a playoff lineup with the 3 seed, 2 seed, and 1 seed you take it. We have played really tough competition all year long being in the Laurel Highlands, and I believe we are battle tested.”

Penns Manor is definitely a tough matchup, and this will be a difficult game for the Lady Blue Devils. The team is full of confidence though and knows what they can do, including coach Longo who also said, “We are prepared for Penns Manor and know what they like to do. They have a veteran team with some solid players such as Alyssa Altemus, Allie Mumau, Sarah Stiteler, and Rena Fennell. All that said, I believe we have made huge strides this year and have played the best of the best and hung with them in very close games. I like our chances and believe in our kids.” 

The Lady Devils have just one player averaging double figures in sophomore Lily Gerwert, who checks in at 14 points per game, but they have thrived with a balanced attack. Senior Chloe Hammond is averaging 9, Leigha Clapper is at 8, and Jenna Norton stands at 7.

If Bellwood wins this game tonight, they will face off against the winner of Portage and Homer Center on Monday night. Goodluck Lady Blue Devils. The top four teams advance to the {PIAA playoffs.