Net neutrality is a murky subject

pd4pic.com

A decision should be coming by the end of the month on the controversial issue of Internet neutrality.

Meghan Claar, Student Contributor

Net neutrality basically means that every internet service provider (ISP) should treat all of your internet and data traffic the same way.  It also refers to the fact that your ISP cannot charge companies like Netflix more just because they use more bandwidth for their sites.  In turn, it means that your ISP cannot charge you more for frequenting these sites.

While I see the benefits of having the system remain uncontrolled by the government, I think we need this kind of protection against greedy ISP’s. Who is to stop them from raising ridiculously high rates on high-traffic sites?

The U.S. government has yet to successfully regulate any system. It has often stifled improvement.

If the FCC wins its battle for net neutrality, it brings up a fair share of questions, as well.  The U.S. government has yet to successfully regulate any system.  It has often stifled improvement.

All of these factors need to be taken into consideration to try to come up with some type of hybrid compromise that can benefit everyone.  There are obvious benefits and detriments to both plans of action. I do believe companies are responsible for their own upgrades and shouldn’t pass the financial burden off to their customers because they need to take responsibility for their own company. There should not be punishments for using something you already paid for.

In the end, I agree with Joshua Steimle, who said something needs to be done, but we don’t fully have the answers yet.