Flu Season at BAHS

Jarrett Taneyhill

These simple items found in most classrooms are one step towards preventing the flu.

Jarrett Taneyhill, Staff Writer

Statistics show that flu season is from December to March, with the peak of flu season being February.

With that being said, it is important to realize that flu season is here and that if we take some precautions, Bellwood-Antis will not be as greatly affected when February rolls around.

According to the CDC, there are 5 main techniques students and staff can take to stop the spread of influenza.

1. Stay home when you are sick
  2. Cover your nose and mouth
  3. Wash your hands often with soap and water
  4. Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, and nose
  5. Clean and disinfect surfaces or objects

High School nurse Mrs. Kelly Hoover agrees, saying, “If you have a fever, you need to stay home. A fever is 1 over 100. Also, washing your hands is a big thing.  If you just keep washing your hands, you’re at better chance of not getting anything, and that is with a cold too. Don’t sneeze on anybody, don’t cough on anybody, and be sure to cover up your sneezes and coughs with your elbow.  If you do sneeze in your hands, then just go wash your hands.”

If you just keep washing your hands, you’re at better chance of not getting anything.

— Mrs. Hoover

Even people that do everything right still sometimes get the flu.  Because of this, some people opt to get a flu shot.

However, Mrs. Hoover explained why the flu shot does not make a person invincible.

“It is important to have, but it is also important that everybody knows that a flu shot is only good for certain strands of viruses,” she said.  “The shot does not prevent all viruses. There are hundreds of different strands.”

Overall, the choice is yours on how you decide to fight flu season.  One thing is for sure though, and that is that flu season is here and is not going away anytime soon.