LESSONS FROM THE MAN UPSTAIRS: Different doesn’t mean wrong

When+it+comes+to+high+school+apparel%2C+just+do+you%21%2C+

Jenna Bartlett

When it comes to high school apparel, just do you!,

In the morning, I get up, take a shower, and then figure out what I’m going to wear for the school day. Sometimes, I’ll stupidly wake up before my alarm goes off and I will lay in bed trying to picture what I’m going to wear that day. Some days, I’m like yeah, this is going to look really good and I’m going to finally look my age and like those girls at school who have those super tight ripped jeans on with American Eagle tops. When I’m all dressed and ready go and I look in the mirror I’m like, why don’t I look like the girls at school? I’ve done everything… the whole look was supposed to come together—what could I have done wrong?

In 10 years or so you are going to look back at high school and think—why did I ever worry about putting jeans on when I went to school?

There’s lots of people at school. And there’s always that specific group of girls that always comes to school looking super nice with their white converse on and their phones in their back pockets sticking out of their jeans to show off their iPhone 900s. And, for some reason, I find myself longing to look like that. It’s terrible! You’re probably thinking, why are you longing to be someone else? And to be honest, I’m just not sure.

High school is solely about finding yourself and who your supposed to be and what the rest of your life is supposed to look like. What the creators of high schools didn’t tell you is about all the baggage that comes with it—clothes, friends, teachers, etc.—that pretty much takes the fun out of it all.

But the good news is—in high school—no matter how badly you may be looked at for what you’re wearing, it doesn’t matter. Think about it like this—in 10 years or so, or even 3 for that matter, you are going to look back at high school and think—why did I ever worry about putting jeans on when I went to school? I wake up for my college class and roll out in exactly what I slept in. Don’t believe me? I’ll give you a solid example. My brother, Alex, woke up on more than one occasion for his 9 AM class and left in his dog printed pajama pants, and thank the Lord above he managed to throw on a t-shirt on top to look presentable, as well as his moccasins. But you’ve got to understand how high school clothing doesn’t matter.

So today, as I’m writing this, I’m all decked out in my black running leggings with my yellow Boston Marathon shirt with my Boston Marathon jacket, AND my Boston Marathon slides. Oh, and a nice looking ponytail I threw on my head this morning. High school? It’s a popularity contest. And guess what? You’ve already won.

“Different doesn’t mean wrong.”

1 Peter 4:10-11 — “God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another. Do you have the gift of speaking? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Do you have the gift of helping others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.”