Elementary reading competition takes first

The elementary reading team took home a first place award on Wednesday.

Colin McCaulley, Sports Writer

Wednesday night Bellwood-Antis hosted the fall IU8 Reading Competition for the elementary teams.

Despite the volume of competition, the Bellwood-Antis elementary team was able to accumulate a score of 67 earning, a first place award.

In all, 38 teams from 28 schools – about 500 students – participated in the event.

Reading Team adviser Mrs. Kathy Taylor  was very proud of the elementary team’s achievement.

“They worked together well as a team and did not miss many of their questions. We’ll take a break for a couple weeks and then start working on the Spring list,” Mrs. Taylor said.

Elementary team members included: Rylie Andrews, Annie Bardell, Kimberly Bennet, Katie Bianchini, Rebecca Brown, Briley Campbell, Kole Dickinson, Carena Eamigh, Lexi Franks, Ryan Marinak, Chance Schreier, Holden Schreier, Derek Stivers, Tyler Mercer and Emily Zacker.

On Monday, Bellwood-Antis hosted the fall IU8 Reading Competitions for the middle and high school teams. The high school division had a turnout of 22 teams from 18 different schools, 250 students total, and the middle school saw 30 teams from 23 different schools for 350 students.

The middle school team was not able to make the cut while the high school team was close but just barely missed the cut as well.

Mrs. Taylor said the elementary  team is determined, and already preparing to go for the trophy in the Spring Competition at Forest Hills.

“They had the third highest score of the evening,” said Mrs. Taylor. “The team had read all 40 books on the list, and 38 of them were read by 2 or more students.