Wertz, Worthing cop District titles

Terry McCaulley

Lydia Worthing stands atop the podium as the gold medal winner in the pole vault at the District 6 2A championships.

Owen Shedlock, Sports Editor

Bellwood crowned two district champions at the District 6 2A track and field championships on Tuesday afternoon at Mansion Park in Altoona.

Senior Joe Wertz took first place in the shot put and sophomore Lydia Worthing took first in pole vault. They will both to on to compete at the PIAA track and field carnival in Shipppensburg next weekend.

B-A had a few other athletes place high as well, with several others moving on to states.

Wertz, who has dominated dual meets and invitationals this season, won the shot put by 5 inches, throwing 47 feet 10 inches. He also qualified for states in the discus, where he finished third.

Wertz's winning throw

Worthing took first in the pole vault with a jump of 9 feet 6 inches, six inches higher than the nearest competitor.

Senior Kenny Robison placed 2nd in the 400 meter dash with a time of 51.42, just behind Southern Huntingdon’s Keith Moore, but his second-place finish qualified him for states.

Also qualifying were Zach Mallon, who finished third in the long jump, and Hunter Shawley, who was second in the 300 hurdles.

Eli Pluebell took 4th in the shot put throwing 40-5.5 inches

4×800 relay team finishes 8th with a time of 9:13.68

4×400 relay team finsihed 5th with a time of 3:37.22

4×100 relay team finished 5th with a time of 45:25

Kamdan Bailor took 8th in the 300 hurdles with a time of 43.90

Hunter Shawley took 6th in the 110 hurdles with a time of 16.64

Sean Mallon took 7th in the 200 meter dash with a time of 23.85

Alexis Lovrich took 6th in the 1600 meter run with a time of 5:43.45