High school placed under soft lockdown last week
J Squared podcast episode 7: Mr. Martin

J Squared podcast episode 7: Mr. Martin

May 3, 2024

Shura family selling shirts to fight against cancer

May 3, 2024

J Squared podcast episode 5: Mrs. Flarend

May 3, 2024

B-A falls to 0-5 with loss to Tyrone

Bellwood lost the Backyard Brawl 34-0. (Morgan Kienzle)

Friday night, Bellwood traveled to Tyrone in the highly anticipated Backyard Brawl. The Blue Devils had high hopes for a competitive game, but these were shattered in a 34-0 loss.

Bellwood dropped to a record of 0-5 while Tyrone improved to a record of 2-3.

The game started with a Tyrone fumble on the first drive and it was recovered by Bellwood. The Blue Devils drove the ball down inside the 10-yard line, but weren’t able to capitalize and both teams went scoreless in the first quarter.

The Golden Eagles snapped out of the slow start and scored 20 unanswered points in the second quarter.

Tyrone’s Andrew Weaver had the last of the three touchdowns in the second quarter on a huge 54-yard reception with less than a minute until halftime. Weaver had a huge game with 7 receptions for 139 yards and a touchdown.

Bellwood has struggled against the pass all year and Tyrone quarterback Ashton Walk made them pay for it in this game. Walk had 250 passing yards and three passing touchdowns as well as a rushing touchdown. This is a bounce-back game for Walk who has had a slow start to the season, but after this performance he looks like he is going to turn it around.

“They made some big plays. We knew Ashton Walk was gonna make plays and he had a really good game. He made some big throws and under pressure he had some big runs. Tyrone is a really good team,” said Coach Lovrich.

Heading into the second half the Blue Devils were down 20-0 and had no momentum.

The run game wasn’t working as Tyrone’s D-line played good and the Blue Devil’s pass game wasn’t working either. Bellwood had two plays the entire game that went for more than ten yards.

Bellwood’s offense stayed stagnant in the third and fourth quarter and didn’t put any points on the board.

Tyrone scored again in the third quarter on a deep pass to Dravyn Crowell, who then broke a tackle and got in the end zone for a 39-yard touchdown. The Golden Eagles last touchdown came with eight minutes left in the game and made the score 34-0.

The Blue Devils totaled 28 passing yards and 69 rushing yards compared to the Golden Eagles 116 rushing yards and 250 passing yards.

Tyrone held freshman standout Alex McCartney to 52 rushing yards. This is the first game of McCartney’s career without 100 plus rushing yards.

Bellwood’s defense played extremely well in the first quarter, but as the game went on Tyrone was able to wear them down and start scoring.

Bellwood will look to bounce back this week when they travel to take on Philipsburg-Osceola. Philipsburg-Osceola is on a four game losing streak, in which they have allowed 40 plus points in three straight games.