Season Preview: Girl’s Basketball

Dale Manning
2023-2024 Girls Basketball team photo

On Wednesday, the Bellwood-Antis girl’s basketball team will travel to Hollidaysburg to kick off their season. They will look to continue their success from the ICC as they move into the tougher Laurel Highlands Athletic Conference.

Last year, the girl’s basketball team had a strong season. They finished their season with a 19-6 record, and were second in the ICC. They were able to make it to the ICC championship game, where they ultimately lost to Williamsburg by three.

This year, Kyley Longo-McGarvey is in her first year as the head coach of the team after the retirement of coach Jim Swaney. Although it is her first year as the head coach, she has all the experience needed to lead this team, and to continue the success of the girl’s basketball program.

Their are some big shoes to fill this year for the returning players, as they lost their leader in points and rebounds, Lydia Worthing, and their leader in assists and three pointers, Chelsea McClausky, who was also a thousand-point scorer.

The girls have a lot of experience retuning this year to try and fill those shoes. The returning letterwinners include; seniors: Chloe Hammond, Lainey Quick, and Olivia Hess, Juniors: Leigha Clapper, Jenna Norton, and Hannah Waite, and sophomore: Lilly Gerwert.

Clapper is the team’s top returning scorer after averaging 9 points per game as a sophomore.

Gerwert, meanwhile, had a solid freshman season, averaging 4.5 points and 5 rebounds per game. Norton is also one of the team’s top returning rebounders.

Good luck to the Girl’s basketball team on their season!