Bocce team ready for season-opener on Monday

Maddy+Pulcinello+%28left%29+and+Noah+Larson+%28center%29+return+this+season+for+the+unified+bocce+team.+
Caleb Beiswenger
Maddy Pulcinello (left) and Noah Larson (center) return this season for the unified bocce team.

The Bellwood-Antis unified bocce team is eager for the start of a new season. After a long wait, the team is  excited to start playing once again, and they can’t wait to come out and show off their skills.

Unified Bocce is a PIAA sport run in conjunction with the Special Olympics. The team is composed of athletes eligible for Olympics and those who are not. For our players, Unified Bocce means everything to them.

“Save the game,” said team member Noah Larson.

“Save the game” is a common quote said by the bocce team to represent the idea to always remain victorious; however, the team doesn’t need to focus on winning. The true meaning for bocce is that all players are equally included and that the sport is as enjoyable as possible.

This year, the Blue Devils’ opening match is at home against Hollidaysburg on December 18. The rest of the schedule includes matches against Penn Cambria, Altoona, Tyrone, and Central Cambria.

With seniors Gaven Ridgway, Tighe Eaken Jr., and Lexi Lovrich moving on from last year, there are new members that have been elected to take their spot. Players that are returning from last year’s team include Noah Larson, Parker Lucas, Jacob Miller, Vincent Daughenbaugh, and Maddy Pulcinello. New bowlers include Cooper Lovrich, Lily Hardman, and Logan Ridgway. Coaches for the season include April Cramer and Mrs. Shannon Elder.

Ridgway hopes to continue his brother’s legacy on the Unified Bocce team.

“I’m really excited for the opportunity to hopefully play at states,” said Logan.

Good luck to the Bocce team on their upcoming season, and remember, “SAVE THE GAME.”